Friday, March 19, 2010

A brand new OGRE

I thought I would mention here that OGRE3D has a new, stable release. OGRE is an open source 3D graphics engine. I have written about OGRE before and I believe it to be an awesome tool that is well supported and has many great third-party enhancements. An interesting point here is that my last posting on here was five days before the most recent OGRE release (Feb 28, 2010).

From www.ogre3d.org:
"We’re very pleased to announce that OGRE 1.7.0 (Cthugha) has now been released, this version is now considered to be our stable release branch."

If you develop ANYTHING for 3D applications and you haven't checked out OGRE (no pun inteded), I think you are seriously missing something.

I had a project last year that involved using OGRE to create a driving simulator that incorporated a collision-avoidance algorithm. The project was 80% of where I wanted it, I got a great grade on it, and plan to extend it. The continued support of OGRE, and its newest release mean that, after I finish this semester, it should be relatively painless to get back on this project. In short, I am just excited to find that OGRE3D is alive and well, and moving forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment