Saturday, January 16, 2010

Moving Forward

The winter semester for my MSc. started this past Wednesday, and today I actually have some time to look at the posted class videos. I am a distance learning student through the University of Michigan - Dearborn. The two classes I am currently taking are: Database Systems and Web Services. Interestingly enough, these classes both relate to this crazy idea I have: a global repository of malware information (source, binaries, hashes, IP's, etc). So instead of listening completely to the current video I have, I am listening 40% and spending the rest of my concentration on this post. :-)

Some might ask: But isn't a global repository already available with sites such as wilw0rm.com, for example? Not to the level of detail I prefer, or think the security community could use. There are numerous organizations that focus solely on network security, or on attacking that security. Some of these are EmergingThreats, the MetaSploit project, SANS, etc. There are even numerous research groups (acadamia and business) that have their own internal data stores of vectors used. Then there are the legal and procedural requirements of governments and business that require the storage of data about attacks/compromises.

As an example: I was recenlty asked by another network security individual about some javascript that was extremely obfuscated. I was intrgued, worked on it for a bit, and then remembered that I know of some who have repositiores of obfuscated javascript. So I contacted them in hopes that they had already seen this particular vector. The result was that I didn't get help becuase the repository that these individuals had was/is controlled by an anti-virus vendor and the vendor was unwilling to share research results.

It would have been much more promising for the security industry if this other tech could have shared directly the code he found with those that controlled that particular repository. Maybe my buddy could've had an answer much quicker than what it ended up taking. However, and much more to the point, a globally available repository would have alleviated a lot of the headache for my buddy. It would relieve that headache for a lot of people.

What do I propose? I propose that a massive undertaking begin, where everyone pitches in, but I get all the credit. :-)

Seriously though: Why not take ALL the data each time your employer or home network is attacked, convert it to an XML file, and upload the data for everyone else to see (minus internal IP/connection data, user names, etc.). The logistics are harder than I think this sounds to most people, but this could be done. I can already hear some screaming, "But then even more 'would-be' attackers (read: fat, pimply-faced scriptkiddies) would be able to attack us." I answer with the belief that if we (the network security industry as a whole!) were to immediately publish this data for all to see, we reduce the attack landscape currently available to the bad guys. Signatures can be written, rules enabled, and the good guys score. The immediate down-side to this is that the bad guys would have to (and they WOULD) get smarter. However, if we had 10 times as many examples of a particular exploit, wouldn't signature AND behavior based detection be much more feasable, and effective? Of course, I could just be ranting and raving becuase it's a Saturday and college football is over! :-(

I am getting off of the soap-box in favor of doing some work and listening to one of my Prof's, and seeing if the Tiger's have made any more moves in preperation for Spring Training. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment